Monday, January 16, 2012

Clutter Free Challenge Week 2

This week's challenge over at The Clutter Free Classroom was to develop a plan to attack the clutter.  If you're like me and need some help with your classroom clutter head over to get started!

I didn't really know where to begin but was inspired after reading Liam's 10 Rules for Decluttering  and Ms. M's Rules for Decluttering.   Thanks you two for getting me started!

I thought about my clutter throughout the last week in my classroom.  As I looked around, I realized that everything I use on a daily basis is out in the open.  Then I opened the cupboards, closets and drawers to find all the stuff I just store.  I need to clear out all the stuff in "storage" so I can find a home for the things I actually use.  Just like many teachers, I collect things that I could use someday and then someday never comes.  Now after five years in the classroom I have a collection of things I might someday use.

So this is where my rules begin.

Rule #1
If someday hasn't come in the last year, it's got to go!
My cupboards, closets and drawers are full of things I haven't used in several years but have a fear that I may need them someday.  I can't be waiting for someday, I need to be focused on what I am teaching now.


Rule #2 
Materials and items that don't belong to me, got to go!
I inherited a classroom from a retiring teacher 3 years ago.  I didn't have enough time to sort through everything and I was afraid there were some hidden gems so I held on to everything.  Now's the time to tackle the stuff.


Rule #3
If I have a digital copy, the hard copies got to go!
I never really thought about how many files I have on my computer and in my filing cabinet.  I need to sort through everything in my filing cabinet and cut down on the amount of paper I am storing.

What will I do with all the stuff?
A lot of it will be recycled.
Some will go to the free box in the teacher's workroom.
Anything left, will be headed to the Goodwill.

Now for the four day work week ahead to tackle the clutter!  Wish me luck.

Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment